Halloween Village 2011
Posted October 2, 2011on:
Bellow is the step-by-step picture tutorial of how I (with my son’s help) created my Halloween village. ENJOY!!!
First I purchased inexpensive wooden bird houses from the crafts store. We painted the houses and glued on craft moss to begin spookyfying them 🙂
Next we began creating our Creative Paperclay accessories. Most of them had to be done in stages, allowing one part to dry before adding to it. We sculpted skulls, pumpkins, bones, signs, tombstones and tree bases.
The pumpkins, jack-o-lantern’s and skull heads were all hand molded and then the features were carved using a toothpick. I don’t have any ‘real’ sculpting tools, so I just use whatever I have on hand that does the job 🙂 We sculpted some of our tombstones then carved “script” and images with a toothpick. The bones were rolled into tiny logs then the ends were cut with a knife *tip-be sure to create grooves in your pumpkins to mimic the ridges and give them a more realistic look!*
I purchased one faux floral stem from the craft store and cut it into individual ‘branches.’ The trees and signs had to be completed in stages so I wrapped the floral stems with an initial layer of Paperclay and while it was drying we created the posts and boards for our signs. Once the tree trunks were dry the Paperclay was so light weight that they would not stand upright. I had to make wide brims and attach to the base of the tree trunks to give them more stability. One of them still dried a bit crooked, but I was able to re-wet it and even it out 😀 Yay for the save! For the boards, I rolled the Paperclay thin and used the toothpick to cut jagged rectangles and add the words. When the boards and posts were dry, I glued them together using tacky glue.
I really liked the tombstones that were available for purchase, but I didn’t like the price tag, so I decided to try and make my own. I found tombstone images online and sized them in a word document before printing. I cut my template out and set it aside. I rolled my Paperclay to the thickness I wanted, laid my template on top and used my X-acto to cut around the image. Then using my trusty toothpick, I ‘engraved’ the tombstones.
The tombstones were also created in stages. Once the headstones were dry we painted them and then made the bases.I painted them with a base coat of black, being sure to get into all of the cracks and cervices. I then I went over them with a light coat of grey. After the bases were dry, I painted them the same way.
*tip – on the top layer of paint, no matter what you are painting, use a gentle hand to ensure you do NOT get into the cracks and crevices. This adds dimension and texture 😀 *
We began to give things their final coats of paint.
tombstones – black/grey
signs – black/white
pumpkins – black/burnt orange
skulls and bones – black/titanium buff
We even ‘scooped out’ some of our jack-o-lantern’s to make them hollow and gave them removable lids. We also made some plain, uncarved pumpkins and we made sure they all had character 😀 We also sculpted a cauldron and some potion bottles. First we shaped the cauldron and let it dry, then I went back and added the ‘bubbling brew’ to the top. I used the end of a paintbrush to dent the Paperclay and create dips and ridges and a realistic boiling look 🙂
We created a picket fence by hot gluing small craft sticks together. We painted the craft sticks black and then we broke a few of them to make them jagged before gluing them together in a crooked fashion. We created four sections of fence for each house. They can be interlocked for stability then taken back apart for easy storage.
I printed out several vintage images of children, some wearing Halloween costumes. I attached all of them to card stock and then cut them out. I glued some of the images inside the windows of the houses and created an L-tab back for others so they would stand upright. I even gave a few of them witch hats 😀 I also glued a couple of the people onto the porches or inside the doors of the houses.
We gave the houses their final touches including ‘boarding’ up the windows and a skeleton hanging from the church steeple. I also hung fabric around some windows and inside others. I painted black, stringy, Halloween fabric (from the $1 Store) with white paint before attaching it to the house. For the boards I cut jagged pieces of ‘wood’ from a cereal box and used walnut ink to distress it. (colors – walnut and java) I sat the houses on square, moss bases, also found at the $1 Store.
I have painted some of the pieces with glow-in-the-dark paint and I plan to illuminate the entire village with a black light once I set it up. For now, here is how it looks just sitting on my freezer 😀
I hope you enjoyed this post because I had a blast making this project! I will be sure to post another picture of the village once it is set up properly for Halloween 😀 Feel free to ask questions, I will do my best to answer them. If you make a village of your own, be sure to comment and leave me a link so I can come take a look 😉
Happy Halloween!!!!! Mwahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!